Saturday, November 1, 2008

Run-On Sentences-Grammar Girl

Grammar Girl-Episode –#49 Run-on Sentences:

It was interesting to listen to the Grammar Girl pod on run-on sentences. I can remember the rules of run on sentences from elementary, Jr. high school and high school. It was never a problem for me as you may remember the comma splice was my main nemesis. I couldn’t have run-on sentences because I used the comma too frequently. It was interesting to see that a passage doesn’t have to be long to be a run on sentence. It was informative in that I didn’t realize there were many ways to fix a run on sentence. I also liked the part where she talked about the fact that “it's important not to over-think your sentence structure. If you make sure your sentences are grammatically correct and write what you mean to say, there's a good chance you'll just automatically pick the right structure for your need…” I do understand that because the more I think about if a sentence is grammatically correct, the more I stress over it and the more mistakes I make. She was also right on when she said that if we were to read someone’s e-mail or paper, we could probably figure out who wrote it because of their style. I do see that in the blogs and essays that we have had to post for this class. All in all it was a nice refresher course and I know that I will have to continue to watch out for run-on sentences and comma faults.

No comments: