Sunday, September 21, 2008

Week 3, Response 2

Anne Lamott’s “Shitty First Drafts” is written in a no-nonsense, humorous style that catches the reader’s attention immediately.  The title is the first indication that her essay is going to be full of self-deprecating humor with a story to tell.  She writes in such a casual way, that the reader is immediately hooked and wants to know what she is going to say next.  She laces her essay with real-life experiences such as her former job writing food reviews and how difficult they would be for her.  “Remember to breathe,” she says.  Go back and sit down and try again.  She makes it understood to the reader that if it is that difficult for a professional writer to make it sound, well, professional, it is ok and normal for a beginner to feel the same way.  It really is ok to write a shitty first draft.     

I can identify with the wanting it to be perfect the first time.  I find myself not wanting to be embarrassed or have too many red lines on my draft.  I want it to be good, really good on my first attempt.  And the more I want to have that happen, the worse it sounds.  What I want to say and how I write it are two different things.  I get bogged down and the words just don't flow.   It ends up being a bunch of goobly-gook. 

So, taking her advice to heart, I let myself trust the process, and this is the result.  I hope that it makes some sense and what I wanted to say comes through.  I just hope I can feel that confident with my first draft for our thesis essay!

No comments: