Monday, September 8, 2008

Working hard for the money-Writing Assignment #1

This is not my first on-line class, but it is my first time taking 3 classes on-line at the same time. I had nine credits last semester and was basically gone from my house from 7:30 am to 9:30 pm. Working from 8-5-5:30 and rushing to find parking and a good seat in class by 6:00 was not an easy thing to do. That was only Monday-Thursday. I then found myself working on my assignments Friday through Sunday and then back to the same rush on Monday.
It was hard physically and mentally not only for me but my family. Both my husband and my sixteen year old son are very supportive of me going to school, but it was hard. I remember calling one night to tell them class was out early and my son's first comment was "Yeah! That means you can cook dinner for us?" I tried to cook on Sundays so they could have a home cooked meal for the first part of the week at least but it wasn't easy. Taking the three classes away from home forced me to be more organized, focused and a little crazy and grumpy by Thursday night.
I decided to take 9 credits again, but on-line so I could work from home. Of course I figured that it would be easier on me and my family. I planned on having all of my assignments for all three classes done before the due date so that I could enjoy a day or two for myself and my family. Now that I have reviewed the three classes and the structure of each, I don't have such warm and fuzzy feelings about it. Each class is set up with enough differences that I'm worried I will be lost in the world of technology. I'm not the most tech savvy person and my biggest worry is that I will get lost in all of it. I envision myself mixing up assignment due dates, confusing Blackboard vs. blog vs. Discussion Board. This means I will need to be more organized, have my head on straight and my feet planted firmly on the ground. One plus is I can fall asleep at the computer and not be embarrassed! Staying awake in a classroom until 9:00 was not always easy to do.
Even though I know it will be hard to keep up, I am looking forward to the challenge. If anything it will make me get reorganized, focused and keep my adrenaline flowing. I do have to admit that taking the nine credits made me feel alive and good about myself and that I was able to juggle all of it and still maintain Straight A's. I hope to do the same this semester.

No comments: