Thursday, October 2, 2008

Gammar Girl-Proofreading

Grammar Girl-Proofreading

This was a fun project because I grabbed my son and we went over each other’s work. He of course hates it when I read his work and tries as much as possible to avoid that happening. The feelings were somewhat the same when he started reading mine. Both of us tend to be a little territorial with our papers. First off we read our work out loud-something that I try to do because what I write doesn’t always sound the way I want it to. My son was a bit skeptical at first but once he started to hear his work out loud, he picked up on a few things that needed to be changed. I should say that we of course printed our copies first and what she says about missing more on a computer screen than on the printed version is so true. I know that we are supposed to become a paperless society some day, but I like to have the hard copy in my hand. The most fun and the most errors we found were when we read our papers backwards. We both thought this was a little off the wall, but darn if it didn’t make us hear things differently. In fact we found whole sentences that needed to be re-written. We didn’t have time for the give ourselves time, but I have done that many times because it truly does help to have a fresh, clear mind when reading something over.

No comments: