Sunday, October 12, 2008

Week 6-Plagiarism

I can remember from years ago the first time I had to write a paper and how it was extremely important to site other people’s work and ideas and that plagiarism was an unforgivable offence. OK that sounds all fine and dandy. But isn’t the point of what we read and research to “broaden our pitifully narrow horizons”(1), to help us either solidify our opinions or sway us one way or another? When and where does the line between what I think and what someone else thinks considered me copying or plagiarizing? I mean why is it their opinion is thought of being first and mine isn’t? Is it because they published it and put it in writing and I just thought it in my head and heart? Especially now with the Internet capabilities and the technology the chances of having the same thoughts as someone else is enormous. As one of my instructors said “Yes, I have software that can match your phrases with those found across the web.” (2) That seems a little unfair to me. Can’t I have thought of those same phrases?

I’ve had the privilege to read some of my friend’s thesis papers for their PhD’s and to be honest I could barely find any original thoughts or statements. Their papers (I’ve read scientific and business oriented papers) were full of quotes and references to others work. Unless they were reinventing the wheel or came up with some earth shattering research and concept, they were just reiterating others research with their own twist. So yes they did abide by the rules and made sure their sources were diligently referenced, but where was the original thought?

I do understand completely that copying and using others work is not acceptable. I will be diligent and will site all work by others, and will paraphrase when necessary. And I promise to NEVER EVER do it. Or should it be "I promise to NEVER EVER do it." Otherwise would that be considered plagiarism?


Works Cited:

(1) Ms.Stitham, Lathrop High School English Teacher, circa 1977
(2) Dr. Amy Lovecraft, Department of Political Science, University of
Alaska Fairbanks

No comments: