Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grammar Girl Episode #45 Comma Splices

Grammar Girl-Episode #45-Comma Splices:

Ah, the comma splice. What a tricky, thing, it is. If you read my introductory blog you would understand that one of the main things I remember from my last formal English class which was a long time ago longer than some of you have been around ☺ was that I was always getting comma faults on my papers and it’s not that I had a problem with run-on sentences and didn’t use commas it was more, that, I, would use them, unnecessarily. I know that the paragraph I just wrote is full of grammatical errors including comma splices; or I should say lack thereof. I do remember from grade school the coordinating conjunctions and, but, or, nor, for, so and the odd yet. If used correctly commas are a great way to separate one’s thoughts. Used correctly a comma will make a sentence clear and not confusing. I do think that people often use commas the way they speak vs. the way it is intended to be used. It is easier for me to find faults in someone else’s writing than in my own. I also believe that I will continue to have issues with the comma. I’m trying hard to abide by the rules of the comma and I will use our writer’s reference section P when I have questions.

No comments: